There was always some screeching, or tipsy frat boys fighting at the dead of the night.
I haven’t even told you of the ridiculously bright street lighting.
In the meantime, the sun would sometimes conspire to rise too early.
Would I sleep? Not at all! Not even with blinds.
So, after suffering for 3 months, my girlfriend bought me a pricey set of sound blocking curtains for my birthday…
Though we didn’t marry, I still remember her to this day- the noise and the light soon stopped bothering my sleep.
Now, would you like to know how sound dampening curtains work and how to identify the best sound deadening curtains?
Hold on right there, I will be on that shortly…
But before then, let’s look at some of your common questions…
Best Soundproof Curtains Compared
What Are Soundproof Curtains?
Simply put, it’s an acoustic treatment that absorbs and dampens sound.
They are made of fine soundproof materials and can be hung either vertically along walls, or adjacent to windows.
They can also be arranged as panels to surround noisy objects.
So, How Are They Made Up?
Just in case you don’t this, mass is the most critical factor when absorbing sound. Thus, sound reducing curtains are normally made of several layers of high density materials.
Layers can consist of loaded vinyl, fixed in between plush, fashionable fabric, or a dense blanket-like fabric
Common Types Of Sound Deadening Curtains
Well, they go by many names… acoustic Curtains, noise blocking curtains, sound blankets, sound blocking curtains, soundproof blankets, sound absorbing curtains, sound screens, noise cancelling curtains, acoustic barriers, acoustic screens….
Regardless, they are specifically grouped into 2 different categories;
- The residential, decorative lighter duty sound absorbing curtains
- The commercial/industrial heavy duty soundproofing curtains
Do Soundproof Curtains Work?
Are sound blocking curtains a viable solution for loud sounds?
First, you can’t get a 100% noise proofing with any of the existing installations-obviously because noise will still enter through the walls, or around the edges. Noise also comes through the lightest materials.
In fact, for so long, ‘sound reducing curtains’ have not been any closer to reducing the noise in homes.
That has however changed with the recent technological breakthroughs which have led to the introduction of highly innovative noise cancelling curtains
That said, it depends on the amount of noise you want to reduce.
If you are recording sessions from the center of Broadway Ave, then you need a more sophisticated solution.
However, if you just need a substantial sound lowering to make you sleep or even focus more easily, then most sound proof curtains on the market will do the job.
So, they will reduce the noise factor just enough for you to sleep but not 100%, unless you are investing in expensive industrial level sound proof systems
Hoping we are still together, I and my team had the privilege of visiting some of the popular vendors with an intention of pinpointing the current trend in noise cancelling curtains.
In the process, we curated a list of the current top 10 sound proof curtains …
You can skim through their features or just focus on the verdict…you should get a very good idea of what each can/can’t do…
Let’s pass over them;
1. Best Home Fashion Thermal Insulated Sound Blocking Curtains.
Darker colors have the best blackout effect.
The home fashion thermal sound blocking curtain is heavily fabricated with black polyester material and effectively blocks out around 99% of all outside light, heat, as well the cold.
Despite its strong sound absorbing properties, it still remains tender, light and drapable.
In my opinion, its innovative triple weave technique makes it stand head and shoulders above its competition.
- Triple weave fabric technique
- Versatile styling (back tab or rod pocket hanging)
- 100% polyester
- Machine washable
- 100 percent polyester
- No still liners
- It’s very Energy efficient
- It’s fairly lightweight
- Has better insulation thus more effective in noise reduction
- It machine washable so very easy to care for
- Help keep the room warm during cold seasons and cool during hot weather
- Draping is very easy seeing it doesn’t have still liners
- Some of the colors seem to allow more light than the others
These Blackout Curtains dramatically transforms your home making it warmer and very elegant.
It’s Energy efficient, very well insulated, and of very high quality.
It makes you sleep much better and is one of the 5-star thermal sound blocking curtains
2. NICETOWN Blackout Curtains Microfiber Noise Reducing Curtains.
Microfiber refers to super fine synthetic fibers which when combined, create a surface area up to 40X bigger than your standard fiber.
Microfiber curtains are wrinkle resistance, highly durable, cozier, more breathable, and easy to care for and also retain their original appearance for longer.
The nicetown blackout curtains microfiber curtains have more vibrant colors and patterns.
They greatly block out the lights while their soft feel is top class.
- Uniquely designed silver grommet
- Upmarket Blackout Curtain Panels
- Triple weave technology(Black yarn at the center)
- Available in a variety of styles
- Solid Ring Top
- No chemical coating
- Machine washable
- Same material (for both sides)
- Creates a casual elegance around your house
- The curtains are so easy to mount and slide.
- Its material is super heavy and absolutely upmarket.
- Matches with a bigger number of interior décor
- Easy to care for -machine washable
- They feel very soft
- Some of the colors seem a little off
- In very noisy areas, you may find them a bit wanting
These bring you a tranquil night, elegance and health at home.
Indeed, the nicetown blackout curtains microfiber curtains can reduce up to 85-99% of sunlight and around 20% of surrounding noise
And since they have more patterns and colors, you won’t have to change your décor.
3. Absolute Zero Blackout Home Theater Sound Proof Curtain.
Sun’s rays are quite strong that why you find that most sound deadening curtains don’t block 100% of the light.
But the absolute zero blackout curtain uses an innovative foam-back construction to create a total blackout.
This type of technology relies on multiple passes of very soft, white foam to increase the curtain’s insulation ability.
In the end, it dampens noise while creating an insurmountable barrier to sunlight.
The curtain is in the form of a single, improved panel.
- Blocks 100-percent light
- Lush velvet fabric
- Extended lengths (you can get up to 95-inch)
- Machine washable, can be ironed
- These are Very effective in reducing annoying noises
- It’s one of the few sound proof curtains that blocks 100% of light
- They have lush velvet fabric that looks as beautiful as real theater curtains
- You can get even rare extended lengths (maximum 95-inch)
- They slide easily on your curtain rod
- You may have to iron them to maintain original shape
- They don’t seem to block the noise as well as some of their peers
Another of the well selling soundproof curtains amazon, the absolute zero blackout curtain is what you need when everything else has failed.
Its innovative foam-back construction guarantees you a pitch black room.
4. Best Dreamcity Room Darkening Thermal Insulated Noise Cancelling Curtains.
Linen has for long remained a favorite for window drapers because its weaving allows light to subtly filter through.
Unlined linen is semi-transparent, hence whenever you want room darkening or privacy like in your TV room or bedroom, then it’s the way to go.
The dreamcity room darkening noise cancelling curtains are made of high-end faux linen fabric.
They are ready for hanging right out of their wrapping and have a pleasant textured look.
- Made of faux linen
- Textured look
- Thermal insulated technology
- Thread trimed, wrinkle free
- Evenly spaced silver grommets
- Sold as one pair (of 2 panels)
- Burgundy color.
- They give your space a unique textured look
- The evenly spaced silver grommets make installation easier
- They are wrinkle free so ironing is optional
- You get excellent room darkening quality
- They slide effortlessly
- Wears prematurely if exposed to UV rays
Made of high quality faux linen fabric, the dreamcity room darkening noise cancelling curtains black out up to 98% of intrusive sunlight.
They offer you the darkness and peace that you need to sleep well even when the outside is shining brightly.
In addition, they protect your furniture & rugs from fading.
5. Grey Blackout Draperies Soundproof Window Curtains For Bedroom.
Another permanent feature in out noise reducing curtains reviews is the grey blackout soundproof window curtains
They create a great shadow. In fact, it’s totally pitch black when you draw the curtains.
Their colors are also pretty cool and you can get them in a number of colors and patterns including awesome gray and blue.
Like most soundproof window curtains, they are Lightweight and compact, very easy to wash.
- Elegant silver grommets
- Available in 11 different colors
- Made of super heavy and soft fabric
- Matches with many décors
- Machine / hand washable
- Allows ironing
- The curtain is dense and very soft
- They shower your rooms with a clean, classy look
- You will notice a difference in temperature as you draw/open the curtains
- The price looks like a bargain for their quality
- They are easy to hang and generally fit well
- Their insulation property is not that strong
The grey blackout soundproof window curtains create a great dark color and helps to control sound.
These sound dampening curtains also have quality stitching, smooth edges, and superb binding.
They could prove a very sound investment for the price.
6. Deconovo Room Darkening Thermal Insulated Sound Absorbing Curtains.
The deconovo room darkening curtains are another superb option for you when looking for 5-star rated sound absorbing curtains.
From what past clients have told us, these are no doubt of the very best noise reducing curtains
They are wonderfully made from top-class, super-soft triple-weave polyester fabric which makes it incredibly hard for light to pass through.
They are also energy-saving drapers and efficiently insulate against heat/cold thus keeping your rooms cooler during warm weather and alternatively warm during biting winter cold.
- 3 different sizes (42×63 inch/42×84 inch/42×95 inch) – 1 panel per package.
- 6 Silver Grommets per Panel.
- Made from 230-GSM polyester (triple-weave construction)
- Machine washable
- Multiple colors/designs
- They repel dust and mites hence safe for allergic children.
- These curtains are silky and soft
- The price is quite reasonable
- They are lightweight
- Superior stitching – no loose threads or uneven hems/edges.
- Their grommets holes comfortably fit most of the rods selling in the market today
- You can choose different designs and measurements as per your home
- They look a bit uneven on the lower side
These amazing blackout curtains panels create a whole lot of difference as far as darkening the room, and dampening disturbing sounds is concerned.
Their high quality polyester fabric is a superb material for thermal insulation, blockading harmful UV rays and is loathed by dust or mites meaning they are safe even for allergic children.
I cannot bet against them getting voted the best sound curtains
7. Deconovo Solid Grommet Sound Blocking Curtains.
If you are looking for light colored noise cancelling curtains but which totally blackout, then look no further- the deconovo solid sound blocking curtains will serve you perfectly.
And they have lots of goodies:
First, these are truly 100 percent blackout drapes- no faking. Then, their colors reinforce your sense of style and beauty.
And the material- absolutely heavy duty and tender!
Looking at their pricing, you can’t believe they are this quality but lo and behold, these are top, top quality.
As if that is not enough, you get 2 panels per package!
Surely, it can’t get any better- these sound absorbing curtains are true gems!
- Two panels in one package
- 8 Square Grommets per Panel
- 100% heavy duty Polyester
- Machine washable
- Eco friendly
- These come in a variety of rich colors
- Their grommets are much improved
- They are made of one of the best quality sound reducing curtains material
- These are machine washable for better care
- You can fast dry them using a tumble dryer
- They have tie backs too!
- The come at an unbelievable low price
- The stitching may not be the best ever.
This is no doubt one of the best soundproof curtain around.
They reduce outside noise to negligible levels and totally blacks out your interior. They also have magnificent insulation and help cut back on windows related energy wastage and costs.
All in all, these are exceptional noise dampening curtains
8. FlamingoP Microfiber Noise Reducing Window Curtains.
These do more than just blocking the light and bringing down the noise…
For one, they introduce an expensive look at home so much that it’s as if you have given your house a massive facelift.
They as well help to preserve your original home decor thanks to their protective property.
In addition, they are safe with your young ones seeing that they are vinyl free and extremely soft.
- Made of 100% polyester
- One panel per package
- 6 grommets on top
- Vinyl free & environment friendly
- Enhanced thermal insulation properties
- Easy care(machine washable)
- Their grommets fit well with most of the standard/decorative curtain rods
- They are safe for kids and eco-friendly
- your home will look expensive
- These sound cancelling curtains are easy to install
- Always smooth sliding
- Extremely soft
- You can tumble dry them on low or warm iron
- The stitching is somehow crooked
- They lack tie backs
This is a grommet-top sound proof curtain that is lengthy enough to fully block floor-length windows or doors.
The let you enjoy complete privacy with people who matter to you and sleep even when your neighborhood is blaring.
9. Bedroom Blackout Sound Cancelling Curtains Panels.
This is yet another set of noise blocking curtains with a lot of emphasis on fashion and functionality.
The Aquazolax blackout sound cancelling curtains brings a lot of warmth plus elegance into your home and are not just beautiful but perform wonderfully – cancelling as much as 35% of sound while preventing around 99% of outdoor light from getting a way through.
Their grommet top design gives them a beautiful folded look especially when left partly open. And they are versatile enough to match any décor.
- 2 panels in a Package
- Made of 100% durable polyester
- Solid colors.
- Thread trimmed & wrinkle free
- Based on the innovative triple weaving technology
- Six top metal grommets (on each panel)
- Machine washable
- They arrive ready for mounting- no ironing needed
- They have the same solid colors and material on either side of the fabric.
- Since they are made up of fade-resistant material, your rugs and furniture remain protected
- You enjoy super smooth installation- you just slide them through the curtain rod.
- You can even extended lengths
- Tie backs are not included
As some of the top ranked sound blocking curtains, the aquazolax blackout sound cancelling curtains are composed of high- density, top-quality black polyester yarn and blocks out up to 99 % of unwanted light, heat, and cold.
They also filter around 35% of terrible noise to ensure that you can sleep smoothly during daytime.
10. YOJA Room Darkening Thermal Insulated Blackout Sound Proof Curtain.
Using shading fabric of the highest quality and the ultraviolet semi-fiber technology, the Yoja room darkening soundproof curtains could yet be what you have been looking for.
They seem to have a bit of every other important feature- sound reducing, light blocking and heat insulation.
You have the option of picking darker/lighter colors based on the level of darkening that you feel comfortable in. You can generally eliminate up to 99% of all interfering light.
Their densely woven fabric reduces external noise by between 10-20 dB- an amazing feat!
- 100% polyester
- Back and front made of same material
- Machine washable
- Soft and silky
- 1 panel per package
- Easy-to-install design
- 8 grommets in a panel
- The quality of their fabric is excellent
- They hang very well
- They look as beautiful as the very best soundproofing curtains even when open
- Each panel has a tie back
- Their grommets are of the highest quality
- Stitching is complete and well done
- They are a bit heavy
These are certainly some of the finest soundproof curtains I have met.
Their fabric is top quality, they hang well aside from looking beautiful. And each panel has a tie back- In case you need them.
The grommets are also of high quality with the stitching looking good and well done
Factors To Consider When Buying Sound Deadening Curtains.
The game of hunting for the soundproof curtains can be lost repeatedly if you forget that there are some features which are a must-have for any sound proof curtain deserving of a selection.
Here, I am going to highlight some of the indispensable considerations
Thermal insulation helps balance temperature within the room. This helps make your interior cool when the outside is blazing hot and warmer when the surrounding is freezing cold.
This facility also help save on energy costs
Most of the greatest sound blocking curtains have enhanced thermal insulation properties
- Ease Of Installation And Slide
Some are harder to install than others. The size and positioning of the grommets can affect mounting.
Some need ironing and of course take more time to install.
After installation, ask yourself “is this easy to slide?” If it is, the better. Alternatively, investigate the next alternative.
How well does it reduce the noise? What about light blocking- what percentage of light does it block?
Some like the absolute zero blackout curtain have 100% blackout while others fair differently. We had said you can’t get 100% noise proofing but you still have great options.
You will meet both pricey and budget sound blocking curtains…although they say you get what you pay for, there are still some inexpensive gems around. Just scratch below the surface!
A few curtains run too narrow while some aren’t long enough so be on the lookout for such and avoid them.
You should accurately measure your windows first.
You interior décor and sense of style matters. Some sound reducing curtains like deconovo room darkening curtains and deconovo solid sound blocking curtains are both functional and fashionable and adorn your room with a beautiful and expensive look
Others like the dreamcity room darkening noise cancelling curtains introduce a unique textured look.
It’s you to decide.
- Safety And Anti-Allergic Property
You will also encounter vinyl free and environment friendly sound deadening curtains- great for kids, and the allergic plus the environment
If your situation demands this, you will be happy to meet soundproof curtains like the FlamingoP microfiber noise reducing curtains
- Same Material Front And Back
Some of the cheap sound blocking curtains look awkward having different materials on the front and at the back losing the decorative element.
Ideally, you should go for curtains with uniform material on both sides.
- Easy of care
How easily can you clean it? Does it need ironing? Is it machine-washable? The best should be easy to clean and take care of.
In this post, we have seen that sound deadening curtains will help you sleep regardless of what is happening outside.
They also help you get privacy as you enjoy precious moments with your loved ones. In addition, they help you maintain proper room temperature hence saving energy costs.
We also saw that you should focus on functionality, thermal insulation, your décor and taste of fashion, sizing and your budget.
Also, avoid the hard to install or unsafe soundproof curtains.
To start you off, we have highlighted for you some of the current top 10 sound proof curtains.
So, that’s all there is for now about sound blocking curtains.
Please leave a comment or ask me a question. I will strive to answer you as soon as possible.
Remember to share if you found this useful.
Last update on 2021-04-12 at 22:15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API